Sunday, September 14, 2008

AFTERGLOW



(Lyrics:)

1. Where do you go in the Afterglow
When another you comes out to torment me?
You are with me now and I love you now.
Please don't go away and become as a stranger to me.

2. As the Sun's light, when its path alligns,
Is obscured behind the shadow of the Moon,
So do your eyes hide their starry light
When the darkness comes to take control of you.

(Bridge) Earth's shadow falls on the face of the Moon.
By a strange Afterglow I can see
Your once loving eyes now are so dissatisfied.
What's come between to take your love from me?

3. Where do you go in the Afterglow
When another you comes out inside of you?
Why must you go? Why must you hurt me so
When the Sun is in eclipse behind the Moon.

(Tag): In the Afterglow I search my Soul for You!

(COMMENT: I wrote this song in the early '70's for my music
partner and best friend, the late Daphne Clarke-Zaleska, a jazz
singer who was once married to saxophonist Art Pepper.
She died in 1992.

The form is AABA. The rhythm is straight ahead swinging
4/4 time that changes to Latin for the bridge, then back to
4/4 for the last eight. The Tag is only used for the ending.
The style was inspired by the music of Benny Golson and
is intended as a vehicle for jazz improvisation.)

No comments: